Saturday, April 25, 2009

Isaac, not Ishmael

Genesis 21:9
But Sarah saw that the son whom Hagar the Egyptian had borne to Abraham was mocking, 10 and she said to Abraham, "Get rid of that slave woman and her son, for that slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with my son Isaac." 11 The matter distressed Abraham greatly because it concerned his son. 12 But God said to him, "Do not be so distressed about the boy and your maidservant. Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring [b] will be reckoned.

God was telling me that Ishmael (the son of Abraham and his servant) is your life before God and Isaac (the son of Abraham and HIS wife) is your life with God.

God promised Abraham, that his offspring would be reckoned through Isaac. I had to study out this word "reckon" and the words in it's definition.
  • Reckon = settle accounts
  • Accounts = record of an incident
  • Settle = To resolve or fix for good
So through Isaac, God will reckon me, which is why He is constantly peeling away layers of things that I have not put to rest in my life. I guess this is the word He is speaking to me, to finally let Him put to rest those issues that have plagued me.

And what amazes me, is that GOD made a promise to do this! So, I have God, who will help me get through whatever I need, because He promised to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment