Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Isaiah 61:3 - The Garment of Praise

I was just reflecting on what the word "depress" means.

Main Entry: de·press
Pronunciation: \di-ˈpres, dē-\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French depresser, from Latin depressus, past participle of deprimere to press down, from de- + premere to press — more at press
Date: 14th century
1 obsolete : repress, subjugate
2 a : to press down b : to cause to sink to a lower position
3 : to lessen the activity or strength of
4 : sadden, discourage
5 : to decrease the market value or marketability of

Now that I have read what this word means, it really makes me think about how the spirit of depression operates. It definately wants to make you feel like you aren't needed or "obsolete". Depression causes an individual to sink to a lower position in life, one that does not utilize their full potential. Depression definately zaps your stregnth, makes you sad, and does decrease your value (in your own eyes, not others).

Then this phrase came to mind, "Put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness." Isaiah 61:3 was referring to a heaviness which can be seen as depression.

Isaiah 61:3 (King James Version)
3To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified."

Depression is usually caused by some traumatic occurance, like a death or a loss of some form. This sends people into a state of mourning for that loss. That state is like a heaviness on the soul, which ultimately will help destroy the physical body. If your spirit is infected with depression, your body will feel the sting of that demonic force. Depression will get you to ignore your spirit and your body.

This is a promise of God, he will give you these things to help save you. For me, this is why worship is so important. I have to battle with the same spirit, having seen so many losses in the past.

In 2005, I lost my friend Jan to murder (her body was left for our Pastor to discover in the church). In 2008, Mrs. Patty, my dear friend passed away, and only a month later, my grandpa passed away. It just seemed like I was facing a season of death. That is all it is though, a season. Seasons come and go, but they don't stay forever.

I had this unreasonable expectation of myself, that I would recover from this all in a short period of time; however, it took me much longer than expected.

That time of healing is nearing it's end. This past year, I was able to recover from all those things mentioned above and even then some. I am happy, my marriage is still strong, my son is happy.

My faith seems to be stronger ever since I have made it through all of this. God is so good!

For all of time and beyond! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment