Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sacrifice for the Glory of God - Matthew 19

Matthew 19
The Rich Young Man
16Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
17"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

18"Which ones?" the man inquired.

Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,'[d] and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'[e]"

20"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"

21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

26Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

27Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"

28Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother[f] or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.
This past Sunday, as I sat in the ajoining room to our church sanctuary, I began to think about how my husband and I drive so much just to be in a church that actively seeks the Lord's glory. We have to stay with other people when we come on Saturdays. It takes it toll on us sometimes, causes some strife and division sometimes, but we keep going. My husband does most of the driving and my son has gotten used to the constant trips. We never have any family time on the weekends because we get up on Saturday, eat breakfast, and then get our stuff in the car and leave. We just want to be part of something real.

In all honesty, I wont waste my time in a church that dosn't have demonstrations of God. Anyways, I having a cold, was feeling a bit weary physically, so it didn't make me a bit grouchy. I began to get upset because I was just so tired of traveling. Oh and here we have a woman prophecying that God will reward us for all the sacrificing we do to be in the Glory of God.

We aren't driving all the time just to be around family members, we do it for God and nobody else.

So I was practically in tears, wanting to just quit, because of the toll it takes on us sometimes (physically and financially) and the Lord in all His loving kindness gave me this word of encouragement through the Bible.   God told me after reading this "This is what sacrifice means to me."  Not putting stock into earthly matters and investing in eternity.  God is more important than anything here on earth. 

When Jesus asked the richman to forsake his wealth to come and follow Jesus, He was asking Him to pick what was more important to Him.  He needed to know if this man valued material possessions more than non-material things.  Not only was he going to leave his wealth, but his family as well! 

I guess it's a matter of priorities.  Is God more important to you than what you do on the weekends or how much money is in your bank account?   He will provide and keep a house over your head.   None of what you see sitting around you is more important than God himself.   So when you leave your things behind to be in His glory, it honors God and one day He will Honor you, 100 fold.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment