Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What It Means to Forgive - Matthew 9

Matthew 9
Jesus Forgives and Heals a Paralyzed Man
1 Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. 2 Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”
3 At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, “This fellow is blaspheming!”
4 Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? 5 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 6 But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” 7 Then the man got up and went home. 8 When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to man.
So Jesus said to me today, "Let me teach you what it means to forgive."  Ok, after awhile of waiting I finally heard him say go to this passage.  After reading it I had to ask the question, "Why did Jesus do what he did?" 

The Lord told me that His sins were what was making him sick to begin with.  If you exist in a state of sin, it makes no sense to be healed of an ailment, if your going to go and sin again.  Jesus gave this man forgiveness and a chance at redemption, in order to truly save him from himself.

Wow. I am blown away. 

This made me think of the guy who murdered my friend Jan.  He was just awarded life in prison without parole, instead of the death penalty.  I don't understand why the judge didn't give him the death penalty, but I know God is perfect, so it will all work out for the good of his Kingdom.  Perhaps God is offering Ronald McCloud a chance to receive salvation, instead of going to hell.

Jesus said to me, "I desire to see no man go there."  He was dealt a just hand and I accept that now, because I don't want him to go to hell. 

Wow, I never thought I would hear msyelf forgive the person who murdered my dear friend, but I do.  If sin is what makes me sick, then I want to sin no more!

No comments:

Post a Comment