Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Hypocracy of Unforgiveness - Matthew 18

 So for some reason I began thinking about the man who murdered my friend Janet Barnard, and how one judge (there was a three judge panel) stopped him from receiving the death penalty.  Instead he was given life in jail with no parole.  I asked God why this is how things turned out and He just said this, "I would let him into heaven, because hell is undeserved, even for those who have committed greater crimes." 

So even God would forgive murderers, rapist, mass murderers and the like?  Yes of course.  Which is a hard pill to swallow when you think about it.
32Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
33Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
34And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
35So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Where is the justice in this model of forgiveness?  The only logic that I can come forward with is how God views sin.  

All sin, save the only unforgiveable one, is equal in the eyes of God.  So when I commit a crime, like stealing a loaf of bread, it's as bad as one man who murders another.   So when I seek forgiveness from God and don't forgive the man who murdered my friend, I am a hypocrite in the eyes of God.

That really is a hard pill to swallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment